Procedure to Reactivate Your PAN

1. Once, PAN is de-activated by department, income tax e-filing login of assessee also gets blocked

2. To Activate your PAN again do following:

3. Write an Application to your AO (in duplicate) for activation of your PAN. Following documents need to be attached to application:

Indemnity Bond in favour of the Income Tax Deptt.
Copy of PAN on which the PAN holder is regularly filing the Income Tax Return.
Copy of last 3 years Income Tax Returns filed on the PAN de-activated.
4. Reactivation of PAN is 10-15 days process for Income Tax Department

5. If you have received any notice/intimation from ITD for which an online response needs to be filed but your e-filing login is blocked then you should file that physically to your AO and as your PAN gets activated file that in online mode too.

6. There can be a scenario where you haven’t filed earlier returns then in that case add another declaration in the Indemnity bond explaining the scanerio.

Format of Letter To AO

The Accessing Officer of Income Tax, Dated:*************

Ward No. ****

Civic Centre

New Delhi-110002

Sub: Request for Activating PAN Card no. ********** in the Name of Mr. ***************

Respected Sir/Madam,

Through this Application, I bring to your notice that PAN CARD No ********** was deactivated and the current status on the Income Tax Department website is also Deactivated as message “Your PAN card is deactivated by department” is being displayed while login. Due to this I am unable to file the Income Tax Return for the Assessment Year 2017-2018.

In this regard I request to you to please look into matter and activate my PAN card so as to enable me for Income Tax Return filling for the AY 2017-2018. The activation will also help me in migration to GST.

For the Purpose of activation of PAN Card, I am enclosing the following documents

Photo copy of my PAN CARD
Indemnity Bond and
Copies of last 3 years ITR filed as enclosure to this application are not available since my Income for last 3 Assessment Year was below taxable limit. In lieu of these documents I have added another declaration in the Indemnity Bond enclosed in this letter vide point A.
Kindly do the needful at the earliest and help me in being compliant with other laws also.

Details in respect of the PAN mentioned in Subject

Name in PAN Card: ***************
Father’s Name : *************
Date of Birth: *************
Residential Address : **********************
Yours faithfully,


Format of Indemnity Bond

(Include Point 7 if You do not have last 3 year ITR Copies)

I,*******************, R/o *****************, do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as under:

My PAN is: **********
I am regularly assessedin your ward/jurisdiction with PAN: **********.
I have only one PAN i.e********** which isused for last many years for the purpose of Income Tax Procedures and Proceedings, if any.
I do not have any other PAN with me neither I applied for any other PAN, if any other PAN is allotted in your records, kindly deactivate the same and activate the PAN for which I have submitted the Application.
I undertake to indemnify the income Tax Department for any loss that may be caused in the future.
Kindly activate my PAN: ****************.
I also declare that my income for earlier years for which I didn’t filed my return was below taxable limit. Therefore, I do not have copies of Income Tax Return for last 3 years as aksed by the Income Tax Department.
That the above statements are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.



Verified at New Delhion this 08thday of August, 2017, that above contents are true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief. No part of it is false and nothing material has been concealed therefrom.


PAN Provisions

Who Shall Get PAN

Person if his total income > maximum amount which is not chargeable to income-tax
Person, if total income of any other person in respect of which he is assessable > maximum amount which is not chargeable to income-tax
Person carrying on any business or profession whose sales/turnover/gross receipts are or is likely to exceed Rs. 5 lakh
Person who is required to furnish a return u/s 139(4A)
Class of person that CG notifies by whom tax is payable under this Act or any other law e.g. GST Law
Other persons notified by CG
Person applying voluntarily
Facts of PAN

Persons to whom PAN under new series has already been allotted shall not apply for such number again. No person who has already been allotted a PAN under the new series shall apply, obtain or possess another PAN.
Person Possessing a duplicate PAN card is offence in the eyes of law and invites invokes a penalty of Rs 10,000.
Government recentely deleted approx. 11.56 lacs duplicate PANs
Major Problems are duplicate PAN (person having more than one PAN) and Fake Pan (Person do not exist for such PAN)
Why Duplicate PAN

People who lost their PAN cards simply apply for fresh ones without going for filing FIR and Reprint of existing PAN
Person who did not received original PAN due to courier agency failure , impatiently applied a fresh one.
Personal Vendeta
Why Fake Pan

Though having least chances of having it but still tax evasion is the main reason for same

Government Remedial Actions

Insertion of New Section 139AA.

1. It asks for quoting of Aadhaar in​​​​​​​

in the application form for allotment of PAN;
in the return of income:
2. Where person do not have Aadhaar, then Enrolment ID of Aadhaar application shall be quoted in application for PAN or ITR.

3. In case of failure to intimate Aadhaar number, PAN allotted to person shall be deemed to be invalid and other provisions of this Act shall apply, as if person had not applied for allotment of PAN.

What 139AA will do

1. Weed out Duplicate and Fake PAN in circulation.

Cancellation or Deactivation of Duplicate PAN

1. As per recent media reports, Government recentely deactivated approx. 11.56 lacs duplicate PANs.

2. You can use above procedure to activate your PAN Again
Source : Taxguru

Annual value of a property U/s.22 of Income tax Act

Section 22 provides for taxation of ‘annual value’ of a property consisting of any buildings or lands appurtenant thereto. The term ‘buildings’ includes any building- office building, godown, storehouse, warehouse, factory, halls, shops, stalls, platforms, cinema halls, auditorium etc. as long as they are not used for business or profession by owner. Land appurtenant includes land adjoining to or forming a part of the building. It would depend on the nature of the land, whether it is appurtenant to the residential building, factory building, hotel building, club house, theatre etc. and will include courtyards, compound, garages, car parking spaces, cattle shed, stable, drying grounds, playgrounds and gymkhana.

Some critical issues on Section 22

Tax imposed under section 22 is a tax on `annual value’ of house property. The purpose for which the building is used by the tenant is also immaterial.
Income arising out of the building or a part of the building is covered under this section. Existence of a building is an essential prerequisite.
Any income, arising out of vacant land, is not covered under this section even though it may be received as rent, ground rent or lease rent. Such income would be assessable as income from other sources. Even rent, arising out of open spaces, or quarry rent, is taxed as income from other sources.
It does not make any difference, if the property is owned by a limited company, a firm, a HUF or individual.

When the property is used by the owner for his business or profession, the ‘annual value’ of property is not charged in the hands of the owner.
When a firm carries on business or profession in a building owned by a partner, no income from such property is added to the income of the partner, unless the firm pays the partner any rent for the same.

For the purpose of section 22, the owner has to be a legal owner. However, the Supreme Court in the case of CIT v/s. Podar Cement (P) Ltd. etc. 226 ITR 625 (SC). held that ‘owner’ is a person who is entitled to receive income from the property in his own right. The requirement of registration of the sale deed in the context of Section 22 is not warranted.

Annual value of property is assessed to tax under section 22 in the hands of owner even if he is not in receipt of income or even if income is received by some other person.

If the assessee is not the owner of the building, but is a lessee and he sublets the property, he would be taxed under the head ‘Income from other sources’.
Co-ownership: In case where property is owned jointly by two or more persons, and where shares of such joint owners are definite and ascertainable, the income of such house property will be assessed in the hands of each co-owner separately. For the purpose of computing income from house property the rent/ annual value will be taken in proportion to his share in the property. In such an eventuality, the relief admissible under section 23(2) shall also be separately allowable to each such person [Explanation to Section 26]. However, where the share is not definite, the income of the property shall be assessed as that of an Association of persons.(s 26)
Source : Taxguru

Residential Status Of An Individual

1. Resident (Ordinary Resident) [Section 6(1)]

To determine the residential status of an individual, section 6(1) prescribes two tests. An individual who fulfils any one of the following two tests is called Resident under the provisions of this Act. These tests are :

(a) If he is in India during the relevant previous year for a period amounting in all to 182 days or more.

(b) If he was in India for a period or periods amounting in all to 365 days or more during the four years preceding the relevant previous year and he was in India for a period or periods amounting in all to 60 days or more in that relevant previous year.

(a) In case of individual being a citizen of India who leaves India in any previous year as a member of the crew of an Indian ship as defined i.n clause (18) of section 3 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1958 (44 of 1958) or for the purposes of employment outside India the provisions of sub clause (b) as given above shall apply in relation to that year as if the words “sixty days” have been Substituted by “182 days “.

(b) In case of an individual being a citizen of India, or a person of Indian origin within the meaning of explanation to clause (e) of section 115 C, who being outside India, comes on a visit to India in any previous year, the provisions of sub-clause (b) shall apply in relation to that year as if for he words. ‘Sixty days occurring therein the words One hundred and eighty two days had been substituted.’

After fulfilling one of the above two tests, an individual becomes resident of India but to become an ordinary resident of India an individual has to fulfill both the following two conditions :

(1) He has been resident of India (fulfilling at least one test given above) in at least 2 previous years out of 10 previous years immediately prior to the previous year in question.

(2) He has stayed in India for at least 730 days in 7 previous years immediately preceding the previous year in question.
This means that an individual will not become an ordinary resident of India by simply staying in India for a period of 182 days or more in a previous year. He will become ordinary resident only if. he fulfills one of these two tests and was also fulfilling one of the tests in at least 2 previous years pieceding the relevant previous year and did stay in India for at least 730 days in 7 previous years preceding the relevant previous year.

While calculating number of days for stay in India, day of departure was not included. But now as per decision of Authority for Advance Rulings, both, day of departure from India and day of arrival in India are to be counted as stay in India.

Tests Explained

Test No. 1. Stay in India for 182 days or more :

If an individual is to become resident of India during any previous year, his/her personal stay in India during that year is a must although the number of days of stay differs in the two tests. It means that if an individual does not stay in India at all in any previous year, he cannot be resident of India in that year. Stay in India means that the individualshould have stayed in Indian territory and anywhere (cities, villages, hills, even Indian territorial waters) for such number of days.

The period of 182 days need not be at a stretch. But physical presence for an aggregate of 182 days in the relevant previous year is enough. The status of resident is not linked with any particular place or town or house.
The onus to prove the number of days of stay in India lies on the assessee. It is for him to prove, if he desires to be taxed as non-resident or not ordinarily resident.

Test No. 2. Presence for 365 days during the four preceding previous years :
A person may be a frequent visitor to India. In his case, the residential status will be determined on the basis of his presence in India for 365 days in four years immediately preceding the relevant previous year. Along with this his presence for 60 days during the relevant previous year is another essential condition to be fulfilled. The purpose, object or reason of visit to and stay in India has nothing to do with the determination of residential status.
For Indian citizen going abroad on a job or as a member of crew of an Indian ship [Explanation (a)]

In case of an Indian citizen :
(a) Who is going outside India for a job and his contract for such employment outside India has been approvedby the Central Government ; or
(b) He is a member of crew of an Indian ship ;
test (a) u/s 6(1) remains the same but in test (b) 60 days have been replaced by 182 days.

The practical effect of this explanation is that in case of persons of Indian citizenship going abroad on a job approvedby the Central Government only test (a) is to be applied during the year he is leaving India.
For Indian citizens and persons of Indian origin [Explanation (b)]
For such persons test (a) remains the same but in test (b) words ‘60 days’ have been replaced by 182 days.

The practical effect of this provision is that those persons who are Indian citizens or persons of Indian origin living outside India and when they come to visit India only test (a) of 6 (1) is to be applied.
A person shall be deemed to be of Indian origin if he or either of his parents or any of his grand parents was born in India or undivided India [Section 115 (c) explanation to clause (c)]

2. Resident But Not Ordinarily Resident

An individual who is resident u/s 6(1) can claim the beneficial status of N.O.R. if he can prove that :

(a) He was non resident in India for 9 previous years out of 10 previous years preceding the relevant previous year.

(b) He was in India for a period or periods aggregating in all to 729 days or less during seven previous years preceding the relevant previous year.
An individual who is Resident u/s 6(1) can be subdivided into two categories :
(a) Ordinary Resident ; or (b) Not ordinarily Resident

Ordinary Resident Resident But Not Ordinarily Resident
(a) He was in India for a period or periods totaling in all to 182 days or more during relevant previous year.


(b) He was in India for a period or periods totaling in all to 60 days or more during relevant previous year and 365 days or more during four previous years preceding the relevant previous year.


Must be resident of India (by fulfilling at least one of two above mentioned tests) in at least 2 out of 10 previous years preceding the relevant previous year.


Must have stayed in India for 730 days or more during 7 previous years preceding the relevant previous year. (a) He was in India for a period or periods totaling in all to 182 days or more during relevant previous year


(b) He was in India for a period or periods totaling in all to 60 days or more during relevant previous. year and 365 days or more during four previous years preceding the relevant previous year.


Was non-resident in India in 9 or 10 previous years out of 10 previous years preceding the relevant previous year.


Was in India for less than 730 days during 7 previous years preceding the relevant previous year.

To Summarise :
Ordinary Resident = Satisfying any one of two conditions given u/s 6(1) + Satisfying both the additional conditions of Sec. 6(6)(a)&(b)
Not Ordinarily Resident = Satisfying any one of the two conditions u/s 6(1) + Satisfying none or any one of the additional conditions
3. Non-resident [Section 2(30)]
Under section 2(30) of the Income-tax Act, 1961 an assessee who does not fulfil any of the two conditions given in section 6(1)(a) or (b) would be regarded as ‘Non-resident’ assessee during the relevant previous year for all purposes of this Act.

Important Points
(i) Meaning of Stay in India
It means stay any where within Indian geographical territory, i.e., any where in Indian villages, towns, cities, waters or mountains.
(ii) Stay may be continuous or intermittant
Stay in India for specified days should not necessarily be continous. It means a person is not required to stay 182 days at a stretch as per Sec. 6(1), i.e., a person stays in India in the months of April, May and June and then left India and stayed for 5 months in a foreign country and then came back and stayed in India upto 31st March. In such a case the stay in India will be counted by adding stay in India on each different occasion.
(iii) Stay need not be at one place
A person must stay within Indian territory and where he stays is not an important cods4deration.
(iv) Object of stay is not important
It is immaterial whether he stays in India for business purposes or on a personal purposes or visits India as a tourists.
(v) Calculation of ‘period of stay’ in India
The ‘period of stay’ in India is to be calculated on the basis of actual stay of an individual in India during the relevant previous year. Thus, if a person stays in India for a part of the day (i.e., for certain hours etc. only) then period of stay in India is to be calculated on hourly basis. Thus, a stay of 24 hours will be taken as stay of one day and total hourly stay in India will be converted into days.
However, if detail of hourly stay in India is not available then period of stay in India is to be calculated in days. It is important to note that while calculating the period of stay in India (in days), both the day of departure from India and the day of arrival in India are to be counted as stay in India. [As per the decision of Authority for Advance Rulings—P.No. 7 of 1995).

Source : Incometax Management/Sanjay Kumar Satapathy

Posted in NRI

Income Which ‘Accrues’ Or ‘Arises’ In India under I.Tax Act.

Income can be held to accrue or arise to an assessee only when the assessee obtains a right to receive that income. No amount can be said to accrue unless it is actually due.

Accrue means “to fall as natural growth or increment, to come as an accretion or advantage” and arise means “to spring up, to come into existence” according to Oxford dictionary. It has been held that these two expressions—accrue and arise—are for all purposes synonymous. Jiwan Dass v. Commissioner of Income Tax, Lahore. [A.I.R. (1929) L4H 609].

Income accrues or arises at a place where the origin or source of growth of income is situated.

As regards salaries, income accrues or arises in India if it is earned in India.
(i) Income accrues or arises to a person, who is entitled to demand and receive the income.
(ii) Income accrues or arises at a time or date when it ripens into a debt, i.e., at that moment when assessee acquires a right to receive it.
(iii) In the case of salaried employees, the salary is earned in India if the person renders services in India. Income earned in India obviously arises in India.
(iv) In case of dealer of goods, if the purchases and sales of goods take place in India, the profits out of such sales arise in India.
(v) Profit from such transaction where goods are manufactured outside India but are sold in India will be split up into manufacturing profits and only mercantile profits, i.e., accruing from sale transaction will be income arising in India.

Source : Incometax Management

Posted in NRI

Check Your Form 26AS before filing Income tax return

Form 26AS is the important document issued by the IT department to the taxpayers. I have noticed that the majority of taxpayers are not aware of Form 26AS and its importance. In order to spread awareness about Form 26AS information about Form 26AS and its importance is explained as under.
What is Form 26AS?
Form 26S is consolidated annual tax statement issued to the income tax payer by the IT department every year. You can download Form 26AS from Income tax filing website. Form 26AS shows how much tax is credited on your account from various sources like salary, pension, interest income etc. Apart from this Form 26AS contains following information.
Part A: Details of Tax Deducted at Source (TDS)

Part A1: Details of TDS for 15G/15H

Part A2: Details of TDS on sale of immovable property

Part B: Details of Tax Collected at Source (TCS)

Part C: Details of Advance tax, self-assessment tax or regular assessment

Part D: Details of paid Refunds

Part E: Details of AIR transactions

Why it is Important to check form 26AS before filing Income Tax return?
You should cross check detail mentioned in form 26AS against TDS certificate. i.e Form 16 or Form 16AS before filing income tax return. This is to ensure that the TDS deducted on behalf of the taxpayer by deductor is actually deposited with the income tax department.
E.g If you are a salaried person and your employer has deducted Rs 50,000 and you have also paid the advance tax of Rs 10,000, form 26AS should reflect these details. If your 26AS is not showing this detail and you are filing a income tax return without checking 26AS it will be misleading information in Income tax return and you may receive demand notice.

How 26AS form is useful to you?
• This form serves as an authentic reference document for TDS, TCS, Advance tax and refund details.
• You can confirm your income/earning using this form.
• This form can be used to know exact refund details.
• This form contains detail information like BSR code, amount deposited, date of deposit, TAN number etc. You can use this form to file your return in case your form 16 is misplaced or lost.
• To verify that the bank has credited tax deposited by you to the government.
• It is because of form 26AS only that we need not to attach form 16 or TDS certificate with income tax return form.

What is the reason of mismatch in Form 26AS?
Sometimes Form 26AS contain information that is not matching with TDS certificate. The reason of mismatch in form 26AS is given below.

Non Filing of TDS Return – Dedcutor has not filed TDS return which will result in non mapping of TDS deducted with form 26AS.

Wrong Information in TDS Return – Deductor have punched wrong information in TDS written like PAN number, Amount of TDS deducted, Amount of TDS deposited or Assessment Year.

Omission of Information in TDS Return – Mismatch Due to clerical mistake done by the deductor towards omission of important information.

What is to be done in case of mismatch in TDS and Form 26AS?
In case you find a mismatch in TDS and form 26AS, you don’t have any option but to chase deductor of TDS (employer or bank) to correct the mistake. If the return is not filed you need to ask them to file TDS return. If the return is already filed you need to ask them to locate and correct the mistake.

How to view/download Tax Credit Statement Form 26AS?
You can view/download this form in 2 different ways.
On Income tax site –
• Go to
• Locate link to “View Form 26AS” and click on link
• Login using your user ID and Password
• In Quick Link, you will find View Form 26 AS (Tax Credit) click on link
• You will be redirected to TDS-CPC website.
• On TDS-CPC website click on view Tax Credit (Form 26 AS)
• Select Assessment Year and view or download option and Form 26 AS will be shown to you.

On Bank site using Net banking –
You can use Net banking facility of the bank to view your Form 26 AS. This facility is available if PAN number is mapped with the respective account. This facility is available for free. Only authorized banks like SBI, ICICI, Axis Bank, Bank of Baroda, UCO Bank etc. are providing this facility.

Conclusion –
Check your form 26 AS before filing your income tax return. I have seen that many taxpayers are receiving demand notice asking them to pay tax although they have already paid taxes. So please verify your form 26AS before filing your Income tax return.

Income Tax Search Warrant under section 132

Income Tax Search or raid is conducted for following reasons.

a) If you are unable to give a proper answer to the notice issued under section 131(1) or 142(1).

b) If Income tax officer knows/believe that you have unaccounted/black money, property or jewellery.

c) In case someone gives proof about your unaccounted to income to Income Tax.
In the case of an income tax search first step is to check and verify ID of officers carefully. You can confirm the authenticity of the officer by dialling control room number specified in the search warrant.

You can call two neutral persons to witness the entire process. You have right to call your CA but he cannot interfere in the search process. He can help in records verification.

Under Income Tax raid officers can search your office or house.
If you or any family member is facing any medical issue during the process you have a right to call a doctor.

You can follow a normal routine during the search process. You can sleep at a night time and you are authorized to send your children to school.
The search operation may continue for a longer duration as main intention of the raid is to find out unaccounted income.

You need to give an explanation about amount written on every single papers or document. So, it is advisable to scrap lose papers once work is over.
If any cash amount is found in your office or house you need to produce evidence like cash payment receipt or cash withdrawal documents.

You have to give an answer for the unaccounted gold found at your place. As per rule married woman can keep 500 gm gold and man can keep 100 gm gold. In the case of unmarried woman 250 gm gold is allowed.

If you have extra gold jewelry you have to keep invoice along with proof of payment from your accounted income.

Income tax officer may check your computer, USB pen drive or laptop. If you are keeping accounts of books on your computer make sure to reconcile every entry. If possible delete unwanted files from your computer.

Apart from computer make sure to check your mobile phone regularly. Delete unwanted SMS, money transaction related Whatsapp Chat or e-mail correspondence.
Whenever you are purchasing any valuable assets like car, jewelry, TV etc. make sure to keep payment invoice aside. Remember in Income tax raid you have to give an answer about every valuable asset.

You are not supposed to give clarification about any asset purchased before 6 years. However, you need to prove that mention asset was purchased before 6 years.

Make sure not to keep any foreign currency at your home or at an office.
In income tax raid officer can seize unaccounted cash, jewelry, locker, promissory notes, cheque, draft, property documents etc.

In addition to above, they can also confiscate computer hard disk, pen drive, CD, DVD, Mobile phone etc.

Income tax officer cannot seize your house or property declared in income tax return or under the book of accounts.

Don’t forget to disclose cash deposit in income tax return

Information on cash deposited in bank accounts from 09.11.2016 to 30.12.2016 to be disclosed income tax return for the Assessment Year 2017- 2018

Income tax department has started sending email communication for those who have already submitted the online response to the notice received for cash deposit made during the demonstration period, requesting them to disclose the same in income tax return.

Further, The Income Tax Department (ITD) has used information received under the Statement of Financial Transactions (SFT) to identify 5.56 lakh new persons in the second phase of “Operation Clean Money” (OCM) and send them email communication. (ITD) intends to leverage technology and data analytics for effective utilization of demonetization data i.e. transactions related to cash deposits during 9th Nov to 30th Dec 2016. Therefore online verification has been enabled on e-filing portal (for taxpayers) which will be synchronized with the internal verification portal of ITD. Email and SMS are being sent to the taxpayers informing that information has been received in the case and response may be submitted on the e-filing portal

One such email communication is reproduced below.

Information on Cash Transactions identified in the 2nd phase of Operation Clean Money – ADXXXXXXXQ
Income-tax Department (ITD) has identified X accounts showing total cash deposits of Rs. xxxxxxx relating to you in the 2nd phase of Operation Clean Money.

ITD has enabled online verification of the cash transactions and there is no need to visit Income tax office for submission of response. The information in respect of these cases has been made available in the e-filing portal. Please submit your response by following the below steps.

Step 1: Login to e-filing portal at
Step 2: Click on “Cash Transactions, 2016″ link under “Compliance” section.
Step 3: The details of transactions related to cash deposits during 9th Nov to 30th Dec 2016 will be displayed
Step 4: Submit your online response for each transaction.

• For “Quick Reference Guide for Online Verification of Cash Deposits” click here.
• For detailed “User Guide on Online Verification of Cash Deposits” click here.
• Visit for latest updates on Operation Clean Money.
Kindly submit your response within 10 days of this email.

• Details of cash deposited in bank accounts aggregating to 2 lakh or more is required to be given in the Income Tax Return (ITR).
• This information will be matched with the information in possession of the Income tax Department.
• The taxpayer should ensure that ITR is compliant with amount deposited in bank accounts during the period of demonetization and while computing income, the amounts so deposited are considered/ taken into account while paying taxes.
• Cash deposits made in the above period may thus be fully and truly disclosed in the income tax return (ITR).
In cases where the response is not received from taxpayers within the reasonable time, other proceedings and enforcement actions shall be considered by the department.
Source : simplifiedlaws